Employee engagement is a challenge for most companies. According to an important retail bank engagement initiatives should lead to digital and customer centric advocates.
- Digital: How do we engage employees to combine digital power (digital customer solutions) with human touch (relevant face-to-face interactions)?
- Customer Centric: How do we engage employees to think ahead and proactively support customers with relevant solutions?
- Advocates: How do we engage employees to become true brand and employer advocates?
No employee advocates, without engaged employees. No engagement without truly satisfied, happy employees. Hence, it all starts with increasing the overall employee satisfaction. This is quite a challenge, since employee satisfaction and engagement within the financial industry has been under pressure in the past years. Main objective of this project is to develop an approach that will shift this downward trend.
- Understand what drives employee engagement (and the relation with employee satisfaction, employee advocacy and customer advocacy).
- Identify all ongoing employee engagement initiatives bank-wide and evaluate their impact on employee engagement.
Define a holistic approach with clear objectives, roles and governance structure to increase employee engagement and advocacy.
We started the project by identifying all existing initiatives aiming at stimulating employee satisfaction and/or engagement. Additionally we interviewed more than 40 managers bank-wide to map their view on both customer advocacy and employee advocacy.
A thorough analysis of the existing employee satisfaction data, available qualitative research, benchmarks and literature led to a better understand of the relation between employee and customer advocacy.
By aims of a Field Force Analysis, we identified the different drivers and hurdles for employee satisfaction and engagement within the bank. The data and insights for this analysis were gathered via interviews and multi-disciplinary workshops.
Based on the validated field force analysis, we designed a framework and holistic vision on how employee advocacy drives customer advocacy and which underlying organisational and cultural aspects are key.
Finally, we designed a tailor-made “Employee Advocacy program” to eliminate the main frustrations and hurdles and positively stimulate advocacy. Important projects within this EA program are:
- Design of employee persona’s and employee journeys; discover what motivates employees and what’s standing in their way.
- Linking employee journeys to customer journeys; focus on shaping better employee and customer experiences.
- Set-up op ENPS (Employee Net Promotor Score) and EES (Employee Effort Score) system; continuously monitor and improve the employee experience.
- Clear overview of the different hurdles and drivers for Employee Advocacy;
- Recommendations on the way-forward (how to increase employee engagement & advocacy);
- Management buy-in for the set-up and roll-out of a bank-wide Employee Advocacy program which will be integrated with the Customer Advocacy program and Quality program.